1869 is a common year starting on Friday (link will take you to calendar).
- March 1 - North German Confederation issues 10gr and 30gr value stamps, printed on goldbeater's skin
- May 10 - Transcontinental Railroad completed at Promontory, Utah.
- May 15 - Woman's suffrage: In New York, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton form the National Woman's Suffrage Association.
- May 26 - Last public hanging in Britain ? Fenian bomber Michael Barrett
- May 29 - British parliament passes the Capital Punishment within Prisons Bill ending public hanging
- August 4/12 - Emperor Norton I of the United States abolished both the Democratic and Republican parties.
- August 9 - Ferdinand Lassalle founds the SAP, the first socialist workers party in Germany.
- August 20 - Abergele Train Disaster - Irish Mail passenger train collides with cargo trucks loaded with paraffin - 33 dead; First major train disaster in Britain
- October 16 - England's first residential college for women, Girton College, is founded.
- November 4 - The first issue of scientific journal Nature is published.
- November 6 - The first intercollegiate American football game is played. Rutgers defeats Princeton, 6 to 4.
- November 17 - In Egypt, the Suez Canal, linking the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea, is inaugurated in an elaborate ceremony.
- November 23 - In Dumbarton, Scotland the clipper ship Cutty Sark is launched (it was one of the last clipper ships to be built, and the only one surviving to the present day).
- December 31 - Triple Alliance forces take Asuncion
- January 10 - Grigori Rasputin, Russian mystic
- January 15 - Stanisław Wyspiański, Polish dramatist, poet, painter, architect (d. 1907)
- February 11 - Helene Kroller-Muller Dutch museum founder and patron of the arts
- February 14 - Charles Wilson, physicist
- March 5 - Michael von Faulhaber, cardinal and archbishop (d. 1952)
- March 14 - Algernon Blackwood, writer (d. 1951)
- March 18 - Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1940)
- March 21 - Florenz Ziegfeld, theatrical producer (d. 1932)
- April 2 - Hughie Jennings, Baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1928)
- April 8 - Harvey Cushing, American neurosurgeon (d. 1939)
- April 11 - Gustav Vigeland, Norwegian sculptor
- May 14 - Friedrich Karl Kleine, physician (d. 1951)
- August 10 - Lawrence Binyon, poet and scholar
- September 2 - Fritz Pregl, chemist (Nobel prize 1923)
- September 23 - Mary Mallon, Irish domestic servant and cook, later famous carrier of Typhoid fever
- October 2 - Mohandas Gandhi, Founder of the modern Indian state, the original proponent of nonviolence in modern times
- November 25 - Herbert Greenfield, Premier of Alberta
- December 30 - Stephen Leacock, British-Canadian author and economist
- December 31 - Henri Matisse, painter
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1869
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics