Millennia: 1st millennium - 2nd millennium - 3rd millennium
Centuries: 19th century - 20th century - 21st century
Decades: 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s - 1970s - 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s
Years: 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979
Events and trends
War, peace and politics
- fear of nuclear war despite détente, SALT treaties.
- Watergate break-in, cover-up, and scandal, leading to U.S. president Richard Nixon's resignation.
- Yom Kippur War of 1973; Egypt and Israel establish diplomatic relations through Camp David Accords of 1978.
- Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. East Pakistan wins independence as Bangladesh. Martial law declared in Pakistan. Indira Gandhi suspends constitution in India.
- U.S. expansion of, then withdrawal from Vietnam War. Saigon falls to North Vietnamese forces in 1975.
- Genocide in Cambodia under Khmer Rouge. Pol Pot deposed by Vietnamese troops.
- widespread strikes and industrial unrest in the United Kingdom throughout decade; Conservative Party's Margaret Thatcher elected first female prime minister.
- Coup in Chile topples government of Salvador Allende, who is replaced by Augusto Pinochet. Coups and revolutions topple governments of Afghanistan, Argentina, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Ghana, and Nicaragua among others. Iranian Revolution and hostage crisis. Assassination of South Korea's Park Chunghee.
- USSR begins disastrous military campaign in Afghanistan.
- Spain establishes democracy after death of dictator Francisco Franco; withdraws from Western Sahara to see it occupied by Morocco
- Portugal's decolonization from Mozambique, Angola, Portuguese Guinea, and East Timor; Indonesia invades the last. Carnation Revolution.
- Torrijos-Carter Treaties promise U.S. withdrawal from Panama Canal.
- Rise of environmental awareness and green movements, peace movement and women's liberation in Europe and the USA. First Earth Day (1970). Whole Earth Catalog becomes widely popular and wins National Book Award. Decline of the Black Panther Party. Peak of activity of the Japanese Red Army, Red Army Faction, Red Brigades, Symbionese Liberation Army, and Weathermen.
- Funk, Disco, Punk rock, Gothic rock music,
- Star Wars
- An age of superstars and idols in sports, music, literature and film.
- Jamaican reggae music begins to gain an international audience, while dub music influences African Americans in New York City, leading to the development of hip hop
- In design, 1970s forms tended to be squared off and voluminous.
- Beginnings of a widespread, strong interest in bringing the considerations of ecology together with the disciplines of planning and design in Environmental design.
- Alan Alda (M*A*S*H)
- David Cassidy (The Partridge Family)
- Gary Coleman (Diff'rent Strokes)
- Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, American Graffiti)
- Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry, Escape from Alcatraz)
- Mark Hamill (Star Wars`)
- Goldie Hawn (Butterflies Are Free, Shampoo, $)
- George Lucas (Star Wars, American Graffiti, THX 1138)
- Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, The Last Detail, Five Easy Pieces)
- Sylvester Stallone (Rocky)
- Henry Winkler (The Fonz on Happy Days)
See also: List of rock and roll albums in the 1970s
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970s
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics