April 24 is the 114th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar (115th in leap years). There are 251 days remaining.
1200 BC-AD 1899
- 1908 - Ralph DePalma makes his racing debut at the Briarcliff Trophy Race in Westchester, New York.
- 1913 - Woolworth Building opening ceremony.
- 1915 - The Ottoman Government began their genocidal campaign to annihilate the Armenians of Anatolia.
- 1916 - Easter Uprising begins: The Irish Republican Brotherhood led by nationalist Patrick Pearse start a rebellion in Ireland.
- 1922 - In Australia, Colin Ross is hanged for the rape and murder of 13-year-old Alma Tirtsche.
- 1925 - John Scopes taught Darwin's theory of evolution, leading to the Scopes monkey trial.
- 1940 - World War II: Operation Demon - The United Kingdom begins evacuating Greece.
- 1953 - Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- 1955 - Bandung Conference ends: 29 "non-aligned" nations finish a meeting that condemned colonialism, racism, and the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union.
- 1961 - The salvage of the famous Swedish ship HMS Wasa.
- 1963- Marriage of Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra of Kent to Angus James Bruce Ogilvy at Westminster Abbey in London.
- 1967 - Cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov dies in Soyuz 1.
- 1967 - Vietnam War: American General William Westmoreland says in a news conference that the enemy had "gained support in the United States that gives him hope that he can win politically that which he cannot win militarily."
- 1968 - Mauritius becomes a member state of the United Nations.
- 1970 - The first Chinese satellite is launched.
- 1970 - The Gambia becomes a republic.
- 1975 - The Baader-Meinhof Gang blow up the West German embassy in Stockholm.
- 1980 - An American attempt to rescue the American hostages held in Tehran ends with eight American servicemen dead and no hostages freed.
- 1981 - Introduction of the first IBM PC.
- 1982 - In Harrogate, United Kingdom, Nicole wins the twenty-seventh Eurovision Song Contest for Germany singing "Ein bißchen Frieden" (A little bit of peace).
- 1984 - Apple Computer unveils its Apple IIc portable computer.
- 1990 - The Hubble Space Telescope is launched by Space Shuttle Discovery.
- 1990 - Gruinard island is officially declared free of anthrax after 48 years of quarantine.
- 1993 - An IRA bomb devastates City of London.
- 1994 - The world's largest lollipop weighing 3,011 pounds (1,366 kg) is made in Denmark
- 1995 - The last Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 rolls off the assembly line.
- 1996 - In the United States, the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 is introduced.
- 1533 - William I of Orange, Dutch uprise leader and national "father" (d. 1584)
- 1718 - Nathaniel Hone, Irish-born painter (d. 1784)
- 1815 - Anthony Trollope, English novelist (d. 1882)
- 1856 - Henri Philippe Pétain, French soldier and statesman (d. 1951)
- 1873 - Theodor Körner, general and politician (d. 1957)
- 1876 - Erich Raeder, commander in chief of the German navy (d. 1960)
- 1878 - Jean Crotti, Swiss artist (d. 1958)
- 1882 - Hugh Dowding, Scottish fighter pilot (d. 1970)
- 1889 - Sir Stafford Cripps, British politician (d. 1952)
- 1896 - Benjamin Whorf, American linguist (d. 1941)
- 1899 - Oscar Zariski, mathematician (d. 1986)
- 1904 - Willem de Kooning, Dutch painter (d. 1997)
- 1905 - Robert Penn Warren, writer, Pulitzer Prize winner, first American Poet Laureate (d. 1989)
- 1906 - William Joyce, Irish-British fascist propagandist, writer and traitor (d. 1946)
- 1914 - Justin Wilson, Cajun humorist, celebrity chef, writer (d. 2001)
- 1914 - William Castle, director, producer (d. 1977)
- 1924 - Sir Clement Freud, British writer, radio personality and politician
- 1926 - Thorbjörn Fälldin, Prime Minister of Sweden
- 1930 - Jerome Callet, musician
- 1930 - Richard Donner, director, producer
- 1934 - Shirley MacLaine, actress and author
- 1940 - Sue Grafton, author
- 1941 - John Williams, Australian guitarist
- 1942 - Richard M. Daley, politician
- 1942 - Barbra Streisand, singer, actress, director
- 1952 - Jean-Paul Gaultier, fashion designer
- 1953 - Eric Bogosian, actor, writer
- 1954 - Mumia Abu-Jamal, journalist and political activist
- 1962 - Jeff Minter, computer games programmer
- 1964 - Cedric the Entertainer, comedian, actor
- 1964 - Djimon Hounsou, actor
- 1972 - Chipper Jones, baseball player
- 1973 - Sachin Tendulkar, Indian cricket player
- 1977 - Carlos Beltran, baseball player
- 1982 - Kelly Clarkson, singer, winner of the first American Idol competition
- 1924 - G. Stanley Hall, psychologist (b. 1844)
- 1938 - George Grey Barnard, sculptor (b. 1863)
- 1942 - Lucy Maude Montgomery, Canadian author (b. 1874)
- 1947 - Willa Cather, writer (b. 1873)
- 1965 - Louise Dresser, actress (b. 1878)
- 1967 - Vladimir Komarov, cosmonaut on Soyuz 1 (b. 1927)
- 1974 - Bud Abbott, actor, comedian (b. 1895)
- 1982 - Ville Ritola, Finnish athlete (b. 1896)
- 1986 - Wallis Simpson, mistress and wife of The Duke of Windsor (b. 1896)
Holidays and observances
April 23 - April 25 - March 24 - May 24 -- listing of all days
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_24
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics