April 6 is the 96th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (97th in leap years). There are 269 days remaining.
upto 18th century
- 1804 - The first scientifically recorded meteor lands in Possil, in north Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1808 - John Jacob Astor incorporates the American Fur Company.
- 1830 - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is formed by Joseph Smith, Jr. at Fayette Township, New York.
- 1832 - Indian Wars: Black Hawk War begins - The Sauk warrior Black Hawk enters into war with the United States.
- 1841 - John Tyler is inaugurated as the 10th President of the United States.
- 1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Shiloh begins - In Tennessee, forces under Union General Ulysses S. Grant meet Confederate troops led by General Albert Sidney Johnston at Shiloh.
- 1865 - American Civil War: Battle of Sayler's Creek - Confederate General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia fights its last major battle while in retreat from Richmond, Virginia.
- 1869 - Celluloid is patented.
- 1886 - Vancouver, British Columbia is incorporated as a city.
- 1895 - Oscar Wilde is arrested after losing a libel case against the John Sholto Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry.
- 1896 - In Athens, the opening of the first modern Olympic Games after 1,500 years after being banned by Roman Emperor Theodosius I.
upto 19th century
- 1483 - Rafael, Italian painter and architect (d. 1520)
- 1815 - Robert Volkmann, composer (d. 1883)
- 1823 - Joseph Medill, mayor of Chicago, IL (d. 1899)
- 1866 - Butch Cassidy, outlaw (d. 1909)
- 1874 - Harry Houdini, magician (d. 1926)
- 1878 - Erich Mühsam, German author (d. 1934)
- 1884 - Walter Huston, Academy Award winning actor (d. 1950)
- 1890 - Anthony Fokker, Dutch designer of aircraft (d. 1939)
- 1892 - Donald Wills Douglas, American industrialist (d. 1981)
- 1892 - Lowell Thomas, travel writer (d. 1981)
- 1903 - Mickey Cochrane, Baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1962)
- 1926 - Gil Kane, cartoonist (d. 2000)
- 1926 - Ian Paisley, United Kingdom politician
- 1926 - Sergio Franchi, singer, actor (d. 1990)
- 1927 - Gerry Mulligan, musician (d. 1996)
- 1928 - James D. Watson, geneticist
- 1929 - André Previn, composer, conductor
- 1933 - Roy Goode, legal academic
- 1937 - Merle Haggard, country musician
- 1937 - Billy Dee Williams, actor
- 1938 - Paul Daniels, magician
- 1941 - Phil Austin, comedian
- 1941 - Hans W. Geissendörfer, German film director
- 1942 - Barry Levinson, producer, director
- 1944 - Felicity Palmer, English soprano
- 1947 - John Ratzenberger, actor (Cheers)
- 1951 - Bert Blyleven, baseball pitcher
- 1952 - Marilu Henner, actress
- 1955 - Michael Rooker, actor
- 1969 - Bret Boone, Major League Baseball All-Star
- 1969 - Ari Meyers, actress
- 1970 - Olaf Kölzig, NHL goalie
- 1972 - Scott Countryman, adult movie star
- 1976 - Candace Cameron, actress
- 1199 - King Richard I of England (b. 1157)
- 1520 - Rafael, Italian painter and architect (b. 1483)
- 1528 - Albrecht Dürer, artist (b. 1471)
- 1883 - Benjamin Raymond, mayor of Chicago, IL (b. 1801)
- 1906 - Alexander Kielland, Norwegian author
- 1935 - Edwin Arlington Robinson, Pulitzer Prize winning poet (b. 1869)
- 1961 - Jules Bordet, Belgian immunologist and microbiologist
- 1963 - Otto Struve, astronomer, (b. 1897)
- 1971 - Igor Stravinsky, composer (b. 1882)
- 1992 - Isaac Asimov, author, (b. 1920)
- 1992 - Molly Picon, actress
- 1994 - Juvénal Habyarimana, President of Rwanda (b. 1937)
- 1994 - Cyprien Ntaryamira, President of Burundi (b. 1956)
- 1996 - Greer Garson, actress (b. 1904)
- 1998 - Tammy Wynette, country musician (b. 1942)
- 2000 - Habib Bourguiba, president of Tunisia (b. 1903)
- 2003 - David Bloom, NBC reporter in Iraq War (pulmonary embolism)
- 2003 - Babatunde Olatunji, jazz musician (b. 1927)
Holidays and observances
April 5 - April 7 - March 6 - May 6 -- listing of all days
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_6
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics