July 28 is the 209th day (210th in leap years) of the year in the Gregorian Calendar, with 156 days remaining.
- 1914 - World War I begins: Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia after it failed to meet the conditions of an ultimatum it set on July 23 following the killing of Archduke Francis Ferdinand by a Serbian assassin. This event leads to the outbreak of war.
- 1932 - US President Herbert Hoover orders the United States Army to forcibly evict the "Bonus Army" of World War I veterans gathered in Washington, DC.
- 1943 - World War II: Operation Gomorrah - The British bomb Hamburg causing a firestorm that kills 42,000 German civilians.
- 1945 - A US Army bomber accidentally crashes into the 79th floor of the Empire State Building killing 14 injuring 26.
- 1965 - Vietnam War: US President Lyndon B. Johnson announces his order to increase the number of United States troops in South Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000.
- 1973 - Watkins Glen, New York concert attended by 600,000 to see The Band, The Allman Brothers Band, and The Grateful Dead.
- 1976 - An earthquake measuring between 7.8 and 8.2 magnitude on the Richter scale flattens Tangshan, China, killing 242,769 and injuring 164,851.
- 1990 - Alberto Fujimori becomes president of Peru
- 1992 - Mary J. Blige releases her album What's the 411?. It is considered the album that started the new subgenre, hip-hop soul (also see 1992 in music).
- 1995 - Network Solutions announces a new policy to help companies protect their trademarks on the Internet.
- 1996 - Kennewick Man, the remains of a prehistoric man, was discovered near Kennewick, Washington.
- 1997 - Guatemala becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1998 - Monica Lewinsky scandal: Ex-White House intern, Monica Lewinsky receives transactional immunity in exchange for her grand jury testimony concerning her relationship with US President Bill Clinton.
- 1902 - Karl Popper, philosopher of science (d. 1994)
- 1907 - Dolf Sternberger, publicist (d. 1989)
- 1907 - Earl Tupper, inventor of Tupperware (d. 1983)
- 1909 - Malcolm Lowry, novelist (d. 1957)
- 1914 - Carmen Dragon, composer (d. 1984)
- 1915 - Frankie Yankovic, musician (d. 1998)
- 1916 - David Brown, American motion picture producer
- 1922 - Jacques Piccard, undersea explorer
- 1927 - John Ashbery, poet
- 1929 - Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, editor and wife of John F. Kennedy (d. 1994)
- 1934 - Jacques d'Amboise, dancer, choreographer
- 1936 - Garfield Sobers, cricketer
- 1937 - Peter Duchin, pianist, bandleader
- 1940 - Philip Proctor, comedian
- 1941 - Riccardo Muti, Italian conductor
- 1943 - Bill Bradley, basketball player, former United States Senator
- 1945 - Jim Davis, cartoonist
- 1949 - Steve Peregrin Took, Singer/Song writer
- 1958 - Terry Fox, cancer activist (d. 1981)
- 1962 - Rachel Sweet, singer
- 1964 - Ian Livingston, British businessman
- 1965 - Lori Loughlin, actress (Full House)
- 1972 - Elizabeth Berkley, actress (Saved by the Bell, Showgirls)
- 1977 - Manu Ginobili, Argentine NBA star
- 1979 - Birgitta Haukdal, Icelandic singer
- 1987 - Lacey Lundberg, United States Prostitute
Holidays and observances
July 27 - July 29 - June 28 - August 28 -- listing of all days
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_28
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics