June 1 is the 152nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (153rd in leap years), with 213 days remaining.
- 193 - Roman Emperor Marcus Didius is assassinated in his palace.
- 1283 - Treaty of Rheinfelden - Duke Rudolph II of Austria has to waive his right to the Duchies of Austria and Styria
- 1485 - Matthias of Hungary took Vienna in his conquest of Austria (from Frederick III) and made the city his capital.
- 1495 - Friar John Cor records the first known batch of scotch whisky.
- 1533 - Henry VIII of England's new wife, Anne Boleyn, is crowned as queen.
- 1660 - Mary Dyer was hanged in Boston, Massachusetts for defying a law banning Quakers from the colony. She is considered to be the last religious martyr in North America.
- 1779 - American Revolutionary War: Benedict Arnold is court-martialed for malfeasance in his treatment of government property.
- 1792 - Kentucky becomes the 15th state in the United States.
- 1796 - Tennessee becomes the 16th state in the United States.
- 1812 - War of 1812: U.S. President James Madison asks the United States Congress to declare war on the United Kingdom.
- 1813 - The United States Navy gained its motto as the mortally wounded commander of the frigate Chesapeake, Capt. James Lawrence, said, 'Don't give up the ship'.
- 1815 - Napoleon swears fidelity to the Constitution of France.
- 1831 - James Clark Ross discovers the position of the North Magnetic Pole on the Boothia Peninsula.
- 1847 - Zeta Psi Fraternity is founded.
- 1855 - American adventurer William Walker conquers Nicaragua and reinstates slavery.
- 1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Fair Oaks ends - Both sides claim victory.
- 1869 - Thomas Edison of Boston, Massachusetts, received a patent for his electric voting machine.
- 1879 - Eugene Louis Napoleon, Prince of France killed in the Zulu Wars
- 1890 - The United States Census Bureau begins using Herman Hollerith's tabulating machine to count census returns.
- 1898 - The Trans-Mississippi Exposition world's fair opens in Omaha, Nebraska.
- 2003 - The Peoples Republic of China begins filling the reservoir behind the massive Three Gorges Dam, raising the water level near the dam over 100 meters.
- 1765 - Christiane Vulpius, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's wife (d. 1816)
- 1780 - Carl von Clausewitz, general (d. 1831)
- 1796 - Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot, mathematician (d. 1832)
- 1801 - Brigham Young, Mormon church leader, settler, founder of Salt Lake City (d. 1877)
- 1815 - Philip Kearny, general (d. 1862)
- 1826 - Carl Bechstein, piano manufacturer (d. 1900)
- 1831 - John Bell Hood, Confederate general (d. 1879)
- 1843 - Dr Henry Faulds, fingerprinting pioneer (d. 1930)
- 1878 - John Masefield, English novelist and Poet Laureate (d. 1967)
- 1881 - Charles Kay Ogden, English writer, linguist and creator of Basic English
- 1890 - Frank Morgan, actor (d. 1949)
- 1898 - Molly Picon, actress (d. 1992)
- 1899 - Edward Charles Titchmarsh, mathematician (d. 1963)
- 1901 - John Van Druten, one of the writers of movie Gone With the Wind
- 1921 - Nelson Riddle, Grammy Award-winning orchestra leader, arranger (d. 1985)
- 1922 - Joan Caulfield, actress
- 1924 - Dr. William Sloane Coffin, Jr., radical clergyman
- 1926 - Andy Griffith, actor
- 1926 - Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jean Baker Mortenson) actress (d. 1962)
- 1928 - Georgi Dobrovolski, cosmonaut
- 1930 - Edward Woodward, actor
- 1933 - Charles Wilson, American politician
- 1934 - Pat Boone (Charles Eugene Boone), singer
- 1936 - Gerald Scarfe, British cartoonist and illustrator
- 1937 - Morgan Freeman, actor
- 1939 - Cleavon Little, actor
- 1939 - Jackie Stewart, British Formula One champion
- 1940 - René Auberjonois, actor
- 1945 - Frederica von Stade, American mezzo-soprano
- 1946 - Brian Cox, actor
- 1947 - Jonathan Pryce, British actor
- 1947 - Ron Wood, guitarist, ("The Rolling Stones" and the "Jeff Beck Group")
- 1956 - Lisa Hartman actress
- 1961 - Paul Coffey, hockey star
- 1965 - Nigel Short, chess player
- 1968 - Jason Donovan, actor
- 1970 - Alexi Lalas, football player
- 1973 - Heidi Klum, German supermodel
- 1973 - Derek Lowe, baseball pitcher
- 1974 - Alanis Morissette, singer
- 1977 - Danielle Harris, voice actress
- 1981 - Carlos Zambrano, baseball pitcher
- 1982 - Justine Henin-Hardenne, tennis player
- 1927 - J. B. Bury, historian (b. 1861)
- 1943 - Leslie Howard, actor (b. 1893)
- 1948 - Sonny Boy Williamson, blues musician
- 1959 - Sax Rohmer, author (b. 1883)
- 1960 - Lester Patrick, ice hockey star (b. 1883)
- 1966 - Papa Jack Laine, jazz musician (b. 1873)
- 1968 - Helen Keller, humanitarian (b. 1880)
- 1980 - Rube Marquard, Baseball Hall of Famer (b. 1886)
- 1981 - Carl Vinson, United States Congressman (b. 1883)
- 1984 - Nat Nelson, singer
- 1994 - Frances Heflin, soap opera actress (b. 1923)
- 1999 - DeForest Kelley, actor (b. 1920)
Holidays and Observances
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_1
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics