(Some entries on this page have been duplicated on August 1. See Talk:August_1. The correct dates for such events need to be determined.)
June 28 is the 179th day of the year (180th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 186 days remaining.
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophia are killed by a Serbian nationalist, the causus belli of World War I.
- 1919 - The Treaty of Versailles is signed, ending World War I with Germany.
- 1936 - The puppet state of Mengjiang is formed, with Demchugdongrub as the head.
- 1940 - Romania cedes Bessarabia (current-day Moldova) to the Soviet Union.
- 1950 - Seoul captured by troops from North Korea.
- 1960 - US-owned oil refineries in Cuba confiscated and nationalised.
- 1967 - Israel annexes East Jerusalem.
- 1969 - Stonewall riots in New York city mark the beginning of the modern gay rights era.
- 1978 - The United States Supreme Court, in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke 438 US 265 1978, bars quota systems in college admissions but affirms constitutionality of programs giving advantage to minorities.
- 1988 - Five workers asphyxiated at a metal-plating plant in Auburn, Indiana, in the worst confined-space industrial accident in U.S. history.
- 1990 - Paperback Software, a company founded by Adam Osborne, found guilty by a U.S. court of copyright violation for copying the appearance and menu system of Lotus 1-2-3 in its competing spreadsheet program.
- 1997 - Boxer Mike Tyson is disqualified for biting off part of the ear of his opponent Evander Holyfield.
- 1476 - Pope Paul IV (d. 1559)
- 1490 - Albert of Mainz, bishop and elector of Mainz (d. 1545)
- 1491 - Henry VIII, king of England (d. 1547)
- 1577 - Peter Paul Rubens, painter (d. 1640)
- 1703 - John Wesley, of Epworth, England, founder of Methodism (d. 1791)
- 1712 - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, philosopher (d. 1778)
- 1806 - Napoleon Coste, French guitarist, composer (d. 1883)
- 1807 - Anton Philipp Reclam, publisher (d. 1895)
- 1831 - Joseph Joachim, violinist (d. 1907)
- 1867 - Luigi Pirandello, dramatist and narrator, recipient of the Nobel Prize in literature (d. 1936)
- 1902 - John Dillinger, gangster (d. 1934)
- 1902 - Richard Rodgers, composer (d. 1979)
- 1906 - Maria Goeppert-Mayer, physicist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in physics 1963 (d. 1972)
- 1906 - Paul-Emile Victor
- 1913 - Franz Antel, Austrian filmmaker
- 1914 - Lester Flatt, bluegrass musician (d. 1979)
- 1926 - Mel Brooks, filmmaker
- 1932 - Pat Morita, actor
- 1936 - Chuck Howley, American football player
- 1938 - Moy Yat, Chinese Sealmaker, Martial Artist
- 1943 - Klaus von Klitzing, physicist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in physics
- 1946 - Gilda Radner, actress (d. 1989)
- 1948 - Kathy Bates, actress
- 1948 - Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court judge
- 1952 - Pietro Mennea, Italian athlete
- 1954 - Alice Krige, actress
- 1960 - John Elway, National Football League player
- 1964 - Mark Grace, Major League Baseball player
- 1966 - John Cusack, actor
- 1968 - Adam Woodyatt, actor
- 1973 - Adrian Annus, hammer thrower
- 1978 - Simon Larose, Tennis player
- 1979 - Randy McMichael, American football player
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (assassination) (b. 1863)
- 1962 - Mickey Cochrane, Baseball Hall of Famer (b. 1903)
- 1965 - Red Nichols, jazz musician (b. 1905)
- 1974 - Frank Sutton, actor
- 1975 - Rod Serling, scriptwriter, host of The Twilight Zone (b. 1924)
- 1980 - Josť Iturbi, musician, conductor (b. 1895)
- 1981 - Terry Fox, cancer activist (b. 1958)
- 1989 - Joris Ivens, filmmaker (b. 1898)
- 1997 - Mrs. Miller, singer (b. 1907)
Holidays and observances
June 27 - June 29 - May 28 - July 28 -- listing of all days
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_28
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics