May 22 is the 142nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (143rd in leap years). There are 223 days remaining.
- 1906 - The 1906 Summer Olympics, now not recognized as an Olympic Games, opens in Athens.
- 1908 - The Wright Brothers patent their aircraft.
- 1939 - World War II: Germany and Italy sign the Pact of Steel.
- 1947 - Cold War: In an effort to fight the spread of Communism, President Harry S. Truman of America signs an act into law that will later be called the Truman Doctrine. The act granted $400 million in military and economic aid to Turkey and Greece.
- 1960 - An earthquake measuring 9.5 on the Richter scale affects southern Chile. It is the most powerful earthquake ever recorded. Also known as the Great Chilean Earthquake.
- 1967 - The Innovation department store in the centre of Brussels, Belgium burns down. It is the most devastating fire in Belgian history, which results in 323 dead and missing and 150 injured.
- 1967 - Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, now the longest-running children's series on television, airs its first episode.
- 1968 - The nuclear-powered submarine the USS Scorpion sinks with 99 men aboard 400 miles southwest of the Azores.
- 1969 - Apollo 10's lunar module flies within 8.4 nautical miles of the moon's surface.
- 1972 - Ceylon adopts a new constitution, changes its name to Sri Lanka and joins the British Commonwealth.
- 1990 - North and South Yemen are unified forming the Republic of Yemen.
- 1990 - The Windows 3.0 operating system is released by Microsoft.
- 1992 - After 30 years, 66-year-old Johnny Carson hosts the Tonight Show for the last time.
- 1997 - Kelly Flinn, US Air Force's first female bomber pilot certified for combat, accepts a general discharge in order to avoid a court martial.
- 1998 - Lewinsky scandal: A federal judge rules that United States Secret Service agents can be compelled to testify before a grand jury concerning the scandal, involving President Bill Clinton.
- 1998 - In Northern Ireland, Protestants and Catholics approve a peace accord.
- 1902 - Al Simmons, Baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1956)
- 1907 - Sir Laurence Olivier, actor, director (d. 1989)
- 1907 - Hergé, comic book creator (d. 1983)
- 1910 - Johnny Olson, game show announcer (d. 1985)
- 1914 - Vance Packard, author (d. 1996)
- 1914 - Sun Ra, jazz musician (d. 1993)
- 1917 - Georg Tintner, conductor (d. 1999)
- 1922 - Quinn Martin, television producer (d. 1987)
- 1924 - Charles Aznavour, singer, actor, composer
- 1925 - Jean Tinguely, kinetic artist (d. 1991)
- 1930 - Harvey Milk, politician, civil rights activist (d. 1978)
- 1934 - Peter Nero, musician
- 1938 - Richard Benjamin, actor
- 1941 - Paul Winfield, actor (d. 2004)
- 1942 - Volker Canaris, theatre director
- 1942 - Theodore Kaczynski, bomber
- 1942 - Calvin Simon, musician (P Funk)
- 1943 - Betty Williams, politician, recipient of the 1976 Nobel Prize for Peace
- 1943 - Tommy John, Major League Baseball pitcher
- 1946 - George Best, footballer
- 1950 - Bernie Taupin, songwriter
- 1959 - Morrissey, singer
- 1968 - James Luecke, saxophonist, musician
- 1970 - Naomi Campbell, fashion model, actress
- 1972 - Annabel Chong, erotic actress
- 1978 - Naung Naung Latt,fashion model boy, singer
Holidays and observances
May 21 - May 23 - April 22 - June 22 -- listing of all days
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
You may copy and modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under this license.
You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
To view or edit this article at Wikipedia go to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_22
Entertainment Network. A Cyprus
Roussos Music Entertainment Company. All Rights Reserved.
are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may copy and
modify it as long as the entire work (including additions) remains under
this license. You must provide a link to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
All trademarks and service marks including Napster,
MP3 Player, iRock,
MP3 Player, iRiver,
MP3 Players + iTunes,
Musical Instrument Equipment Store, BMG
Music Service, Columbia
House DVD Club, eBay,
Musical Instruments, Billboard,
Yahoo Search Marketing, MusicMatch,
Music Plus, Billboard
Stone Magazine, Walmart
and Noble book store, CDUniverse,
are property of their respective owners. Music.us has no affiliation with
but offers alternative services. Disclaimer: Uploading or downloading
of copyrighted works without permission or authorization of copyright
holders may be illegal and subject to civil or criminal liability and
penalties. Please buy
music and refrain from any illegal downloading activity. User
submitted free content, including Wikipedia encyclopedia or modification
thereof by end users, do not reflect the views and opinions of Music.us
and are for educational and research development purposes. Our website
offers advanced search for bands and artists bio and albums and browse
options for artist band biographies resources and information. We offer
blogs and community building tools for authors, bands and users. The Music.us
Entertainment Network is web's most comprehensive one-stop shopping, community
networking and education site. Find song lyrics, guitar tablature, posters,
ring tones, free MP3 downloads and hourly updating news feeds on musicians
and any genre style including rock,
and B, blues,
- Site Map
- MP3 - Music Downloads
- Song Lyrics